Saturday, September 01, 2007
Saturday, Week 2
Today was MUCH better than yesterday. The boys and I really talked about it later that day, and they both expressed a strong desire to continue homeschooling. We talked about rules to make our day easier, and C said they shouldn't play DS or computer until after schooling.

Today, the boys did math workbook pages, colored a coloring page of an angel, and each did their language arts worksheet. (C did a wordsearch, N matched upper & lower case letters.)

We read a couple books about sharks.

Then the boys made dessert for tonight's dinner. A month or so ago, I saw an Easy Bake kit on the shelf that looked like fish floating in cups of gelatin. (I guess they're not making them anymore, because a quick search turns up nothing, not even on the hasbro site?) I figured it would fit in well with our unit on oceans and sharks, so picked it up for around $3. It was easy to put together, and I could have done so without the kit, but it was very convenient to have everything together. The kit had 4 clear plastic cups, a light blue gelatin, blue sugar crystals, and 2 packages of gummy fish. We talked about measuring when we made the gelatin, then poured it in the cups. The cups went in the freezer for 15 minutes and then we used toothpicks to push the fish into the cups. A discussion about the different consistency of the gelatin ensued. The blue sugar was sprinkled on top and while the idea was to eat them after dinner, the boys decided to eat them right then. We saved one for Daddy when he gets home from work.

C did some independent reading.

The boys and I played a card game. I took out the face cards, and dealt 2 cards on the table. The first one to correctly add the numbers together took the cards, and the largest pile at the end won. Ummm, I won both times we played -- even though I tried NOT to win the 2nd time. Oh, well, It's a good game to practice facts. I think I might add a writing element to it next time as N definitely needs to practice writing numbers and C still writes some backwards.

I had intended to have them do an art project today, but we had to go grocery shopping and then I fell asleep with the baby when we got home. They're playing an involved game with about 50 plastic animals at the moment -- so I think the art project can wait until next week.

posted at 5:47 PM
0 comments



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Us
I'm a homeschooling mom with 3 wonderful kids! My boys are 6 & 7 and working at a 1st and 2nd/3rd grade level. We use Catholic Heritage Curriculum loosely, with lots of our own ideas added in. My boys attend an enrichment program one day per week during the traditional school year, which gives me extra time with my toddler daughter, and the chance to run some errands without my active boys.

This blog was a running list of what we do each school-day, but I tend to post here sporadically now. We usually school on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday to take DH's days off into account.


Links
Email Me!
Catholic Heritage Curricula

Previous Posts
Friday, Week 2
Thursday, Week 2
ugh, need to figure out how to title these!
August 24 - End of First Week
checklist
First Day, New Year
end of year
still here
Week 5, In Review
Week 4, At a Glance

Archives
January 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
June 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
August 2010

Books

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
www.istockphoto.com

Powered by: