Friday, July 25, 2008
planning for a new year
I've started planning and reviewing for the new year! The boys will start their enrichment program in mid-August, and we'll start our studies at the same time. I know the boys are ready as they both pulled out workbooks this week on their own and started doing some work. N is asking to learn time and is interested and eager.

I went through the homeschooling cabinet in the hallway and discovered many things I had completely forgotten about! An entire pack of 12x15 paper! An entire BOX of coloring books of famous artists and desert scenes and more! 2 mini greenhouses! Pretend snow! Our good binoculars!

It was quite the revelation, and I was reminded how last year wasn't necessarily very filled with extra activities. Oh, well, there's always this year!

There are about $100 worth of textbooks I need to purchase before we start, but I'm trying to see if I can narrow that down and make another order in a few months. I have to make a final decision about math (do I stick with MCP or try the Seton math books this year?)

Yesterday I began tackling the enormous task of sorting through our children's books. I emptied 3 bookshelves and set aside one box for donations. I organized and sorted and made categories for the remaining books -- and then realized that I still had about 150 books scattered throughout the house that I somehow need to fit onto the shelves. I think we have plenty of reading material for all 3 kids, but I still wonder if I should buy a few readers for N?

I'm getting excited and so are the boys. I'm creating a routine that we can stick with and I'm willing to be flexible when needed. It's going to be a fun year . . . especially as I realize that it may be our last year homeschooling. While I would love to continue, I may need to find outside employment that won't work well with homeschooling. I intend to enjoy this year to its fullest!

posted at 3:41 PM
0 comments



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Us
I'm a homeschooling mom with 3 wonderful kids! My boys are 6 & 7 and working at a 1st and 2nd/3rd grade level. We use Catholic Heritage Curriculum loosely, with lots of our own ideas added in. My boys attend an enrichment program one day per week during the traditional school year, which gives me extra time with my toddler daughter, and the chance to run some errands without my active boys.

This blog was a running list of what we do each school-day, but I tend to post here sporadically now. We usually school on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday to take DH's days off into account.


Links
Email Me!
Catholic Heritage Curricula

Previous Posts
multiplication clock
Reading Programs
what are we reading this summer?
summer plans
Life Happens
Spring Plans
moving on up
no school today
Pick a Number!
Hmmm, Week What?

Archives
January 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
June 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
August 2010

Books

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
www.istockphoto.com

Powered by: